SuperBeets is a branded dietary supplement made from dehydrated and crystallized beets. It is associated with a number of potential health benefits, although direct evidence from scientific studies is lacking.
What are Superbeets?
Superbeets is a nutritional supplement made from dehydrated beets that provide high levels of nitrates. While the nutritional benefits of beets and beet juice is well known, many people dislike the flavor and texture of beets, or simply don’t know how to add them to their diet. Beets are rich in nitrates, which can be converted into a biologically available form in the body, nitric oxide. This compound has many health benefits. Superbeets is composed of dehydrated beets in a crystalline or powdered form that can be added to any type of liquid or beverage.
Many consumers worry about taking nutritional supplements, as they aren’t sure what other ingredients may be included in the product. When it comes to Superbeets, the ingredients are quite simple. The dominant ingredient is non-GMO beetroot powder, which is where the majority of the benefits can be found. Additionally, this product contains malic acid, stevia leaf extract, magnesium ascorbate, and natural apple flavor.
As mentioned above, the primary benefits of Superbeets come from its major concentration of beetroot powder, which is high in nitrates, iron, potassium, folate, manganese, calcium, vitamin C, sodium, fiber, protein, and various antioxidants. The key ingredients in this product have been linked to lower blood pressure, boost energy levels, improve circulation, aid in weight loss, and strengthen the immune system.
- Circulation: One of the key functions of nitric oxide in the body is to relax the blood vessels and keep them dilated. This allows for better delivery of oxygen and other necessary nutrients to various parts of the body and can relieve stress on the cardiovascular system, as found in this article from the International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition.
- Blood pressure: Closely connected to blood circulation, nitric oxide can help to lower blood pressure by relaxing arteries and allowing the circulatory system to function more effectively, lowering your risk of atherosclerosis, heart attack, and stroke, as found in this study in Nitric Oxide journal.
- Energy levels: With its diverse range of nutrients, including protein, potassium, and iron, along with higher levels of oxygenation to the body, you will feel a boost in stamina and energy levels because your body is operating at a higher, more efficient level.
- Weight loss: In conjunction with exercise, Superbeets can aid in weight loss due to having such nutrient density, without adding too many calories to your daily intake. A single teaspoon of Superbeets contains only 15 calories but delivers a wide range of nutrients, including some fiber, which can increase feelings of fullness.
- Immune system: This concentrated product contains a number of antioxidants, including vitamin C, rutin, epicatechin, and caffeic acid, in addition to potassium, iron, and manganese, all of which can protect the immune system and prevent chronic diseases.
The recommended dosage for this nutritional supplement is 1 teaspoon per day mixed into approximately 4 ounces of the liquid of your choice. It is important to properly stir or shake the mixture to ensure that all the beetroot powder has dissolved. The taste can be a bit sour, but mixing it with something besides water can help to make the supplement more palatable. While you can take Superbeets at any time of day, most people prefer to take it in the afternoon for the burst of energy it provides.
There are some Superbeets side effects and precautions that users should be aware of, particularly if beets or beet juice haven’t typically been a part of your diet. Most notably, beeturia can occur, which is when your urine or bowel movements may be stained red in color. This can be very worrisome if you aren’t used to eating beets, but it is completely normal and harmless. Additionally, the use of this supplement has been linked to gas, cramping, nausea, diarrhea, and general gastrointestinal distress, but these side effects tend to be mild and uncommon. Unlike so many other super supplements, this concentrated form of beetroot powder has no caffeine or other stimulants and has a minimum of side effects. The long-term impact of continual use has not been studied, but anecdotal evidence shows no obvious negative effects.